Texarkana Encounter

Tell us about your T & P memories....your travels, your life along the railway, anything you can recall.
rimiku

Texarkana Encounter

Post by rimiku »

Ladies and Gentlemen:
I hope by telling an interesting story to you, I may get some important information back. In the Spring of 1897, Maxwell Becton and Fairleigh Dickinson, two salesmen working for different companies, were on sales trips across the country and traveling on the T&P when one morning in the railraoad restaurant in Texarkana Texas, they encountered each other by accident. The legend goes that the morning sun was streaming through the window and into the eyes of Dickinson, making it difficult for him to read his paper. Becton, dining in the same restaurant and seeing his discomfort, stood and drew the shade to the greast relief and appreciation of Dickinson. They sat together and talked of their lives and jobs and struck an immediate friendship that would turn into a business partnership that exists today: Becton, Dickinson and Company.
The detail that I seek is a date for this chance meeting that can be verified through historic records and accounts. I hope you can help.
With great appreciation,
Rich Kushnier