DescriptionEngine number 201 is the oldest locomotive operated on the [Texas State Railroad] line. This engine was built in 1901 by the A. L. Cooke Locomotive Works for the Texas & Pacific Railway, and is the only operating T. & P. steam locomotive in existence. The engine was built for freight service and proudly wore the number 316 during its' career with the Texas & Pacific. Engine 201 is classified as a 4-6-0. This means that it has four wheels in the front, six drivers in the middle and no wheels in the rear of the engine. This type of locomotive is commonly referred to as a "ten wheeler".
In 1949, after years of hard service, the Texas & Pacific sold number 316 to the Paris & Mt. Pleasant Railroad, a T. & P. subsidiary. In 1951 the locomotive was saved from the scrappers torch by a remarkable Lady (who wished to remain anonymous). She purchased the engine and, with help from the T. & P., donated it to the city of Abilene in honor of its' seventy -fifth anniversary as a city. The venerable ten wheeler remained on display in Abilene at the Oscar Rose Park for many years, wearing the number 75 to symbolize the seventy - fifth Jubilee Celebration of the city of Abilene.
In 1974 the citizens of Abilene graciously donated the locomotive to the newly formed Texas State Railroad State Historical Park. After extensive repair and refurbishing the engine was again rolling down the rails to thrill a new generation of train passengers, deep in the heart of the East Texas piney woods.
BUILDER: A.L. Cooke
WEIGHT: 79 Tons
ORIGINAL BOILER PRESSURE: 200 psi
CURRENT BOILER PRESSURE: 180 psi
WHEEL ARRANGEMENT: 4-6-0
CLASSIFICATION: "Ten Wheeler"
CYLINDER SIZE: 20" x 26"
TRACTIVE EFFORT: 28,000 lbs.
WATER: 5,350 gal.
OIL: 2,500 gal.
VALVE GEAR: Stephenson
WHEEL DIAMETER: 63"
-- Center for East Texas Studies